Sunday 31 March 2013

100 Useful Arabic Words in Sudan

Note: This post is part of a series on what Khartoum is like.  It is intended for anyone coming to Sudan who wants to learn more and get advice on various topics before travelling here, and anyone else interested.

I'm so grateful to my Sudanese colleagues and friends who have so patiently helped me learn their language and given me encouragement even when I didn't make a lot of progress.  I'm especially grateful for their help because I started from scratch, without the help of books, etc., and they brought me from knowing nothing to where I am now (although I'm not sure where that is).


Because I originally learned from friends instead of from books, I got to learn words that were immediately practical for me.  Here are 100 words I find useful and may be useful for anyone when first arriving in Sudan. I am indebted to my dear Arabic teacher for graciously reviewing them. (These words are in the Sudanese accent.)



Numbers
1
Wahid
2
Itneen
3
Talata
4
Arba3a*
5
Khamsa
6
Sitta
7
Sab3a
8
Tamanya
9
Tis3a
10
3ashara
11
Hidasher
12
Itnasher
Greetings
Peace to you
Assalam alaikum
And to you, peace
Wa alaikum assalam
How are you? 
Kaif? (literally: how)
I’m great
Tamaam
I’m fine
Kwayis/kwaysa
[I’m well] praise to God
Alhamdulillah
Fantastic/100%
Meya meya
Common Verbs
I am going
Mashi/masha
I want
Dayer/dayra
You said
Gulta/gulti
I thought
Fakarta
I ate
Akalta
We live
Sakneen
I have
3indi
Give (me)
Jeeb/Jeebi (first to males, second to females)
I work at
Shagala fi
Yes/No
Yes
Aiwa
No
La
Not (negation)
Ma
Pronouns
I
Ana
He
Hua
She
Hia
They
Hum
We
Nihna
You, you plural
Inta/inti, intu
Question Words
What?
Shinu?
Where?
Wain?
When?
Metain?
Who?
Minu?
How much?
Bi Kam?
How?
Kaif?
Prepositions
In
Fi
With
M3a, Be
From
Min
Without
Bedun
Inside
Juwa
Outside
Barrah
Beside
Janb
Before
Gabli
After
Ba3ad
Directions
Right
Yameen
Left
Shamal
Straight/directly
Tawali
Measures of Time
Minute
Dageega
Hour
Sa3a
Day
Youm
Month
Shahar
Year
Sana
Time
Zaman
Days of the Week
Sunday
Youm alahad
Monday
Youm alitneen
Tuesday
Youm attalata
Wednesday
Youm alarbi3a
Thursday
Youm alkhamees
Friday
Youm aljom3a
Saturday
Youm assabit
Nouns
Street
Shari3
House
Bayt
University
Jam3a
Church
Kaneesa
Pen
Galam
Water
Moya
Food
Akil
Tea and Related Words
Tea
Shai
Coffee
Jabanah, gahwa
Sugar
Suker
Milk
Laban
1 spoonful, 2 spoonfuls
Mal3aga, mal3agteen
Adjectives, Adverbs
A little
Shwaya
A lot
Kateer
Far
Ba3eed
Near
Gareeb
Full (I’m full)
Shab3aan/shab3aana
Hot (I'm hot)
Sakhin/sakhna
Here, there
Hina, hinak
Just
Bas
Now
Al’an, hassa
Other Words
Cellphone
Telephone, mobile
Cellphone credit
Raseed
Cellphone charger
Shahin
Taxi that is a mini minibus
Amjad
Money
Guroosh
Change (as in coins)
Fakka
And
wa
But
Lakin
Bread
Aysh
Juice
3seer
Congratulations
Mabruk 


Of course this list is nowhere near complete, nor do I pretend these are the 100 most useful words.


As you can see, I chose different tenses for the verbs; those are the tenses that I use the most with those particular verbs.  Also note that sometimes there are two forms of the verb given; the first is for males and the second for females.  The same goes for pronouns and some adjectives.

You will find that the days of the week correspond closely to numbers; months are similar--(shahar wahid, shahar itneen, etc.).

With these 100 words you can make so many combinations to get across what you are trying to say (even though your grammar may be atrocious).  Here are some examples, with the English first, Arabic second, sometimes with comments following:

  • Just a minute--Degiga bas (minute just)
  • Is there juice?--Fi 3seer farowla?  "Fi" is a great word; it means "there is, there are," but can also be used with a different intonation to mean "is there? are there?" It also means "in."
  • There isn't--Ma fi.  "Ma" can also be used it before verbs to mean "don't/doesn't."
  • I want tea (with milk), without sugar, and he wants coffee with one sugar--Ana dayra shai be leben, bedun sukr, wa hua dayr jebinah, sukr malaga.
  • We are going to Street _____, after the university. How much?--Nihna masheen Shar3 _____, bad jam3a. Bikam?
  • Where are you from? I am from America--Inti min wen? Ana min Amrika.
  • Where are you going?--Masha wen?
  • It's not far, it's near--"Ma baeed, gareeb."
  • I want credit, 5 pounds Sudani; I have 10, do you have change?--Ana dayra raseet, khamsa Sudani; 3nde 3shara, 3ndak faka?
Now that I review this list I forgot a shocking number of very important words.  I guess that means I might have to write another post about this again.  If you speak Arabic or you're learning Arabic in Sudan and found this list skips some words you find useful, please leave a comment.

*I use the 3 here to symbolise the "ayin" sound.  You can hear how this sounds by listening to this clip.  If you can't pronounce it, replace with an 'a' sound as in 'cat.'

(For this series of posts, I would really like to get input from the Sudanese to be as accurate as possible. Please comment if I wrote something that is only partly true or could be misunderstood or is just obviously wrong. Thanks!)

14 comments:

  1. Thanks Bro. Looking for something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Miss. You have written somewhere that you forgot some important words. Can u post them or email me at smartamitjain(at)yahoo.com.

    It will be of great help.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you. This was very helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very useful. I am in Juba where they have a pidgin dialect called Juba Arabic. It is still widely spoken by people here, although there are moves to phase it out in favor of English due to animosity left over from the long conflict with the North.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so helpful. Just new here. Been trying to get such a forum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for this. Its so helpful. Just areived in Khartoum and was really looking for something like this. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. some one from Khartoum to give me more lessons please ,Ana ayis arif arabi khartoum, ana sakin fi juba ,ketib le ana ,inno.piwangs(at)gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. can anyone help with the translation of " shinina ub grenat"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future.
    Certified Translation company

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks you so much for this little information you give me about speaking Sudanese

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent work. I found it really hard to find resource for sudanese arabic in the net. Really appreciate the 100 words ... keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  12. Helpful waiting to hear more from you am learning Arabic

    ReplyDelete